Happy New Year everyone!!!!!! 2016 was a bit of a doozie so we thought we would help you out and give you guys a great sweet treat to make for your new year eve party! This cupcake is the perfect treat to snack on as you say goodbye to 2016! We hope you enjoy this delightful treat and and we hope you have a fun but safe time as you welcome in the new year! Xoxo- The Travel and Treats Team
total time: 1 HOUR
1 box white cake mix, plus ingredients on back of box, **replace the water with champagne
- 2 sticks of butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4-6 tbsp champagne
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- gold sprinkles
- homemade gold sparklers (gold wire and gold tinsel), for decoration
- Preheat the oven according to the directions of the package.
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Prepare and bake the cake mix according to the directions on the package, however substitute the water for champagne, so if your box calls for 2/3 cup water use 2/3 cup champagne. Divide the batter evenly among the muffins cups.
- Bake according to the suggested time – roughly 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes and place them on a cooling rack to cool.
- When the cupcakes are cooled, prepare the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and vegetable shortening and beat using an electric mixer until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the champagne, starting with less and adding more for stronger flavor if desired.
- Begin to add the powdered sugar, about 1 cup at a time, mixing by hand first, then with the electric mixer. Continue adding powdered sugar until the frosting tastes good to you.
- Place the frosting in a large piping bag fit with a 1m piping tip. Push the buttercream down into the bag. Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes, starting in the center of the cupcake, swirling out, and then swirling back into the center, progressively stacking the frosting as you get to the center.
- Top with gold sprinkles and gold sparkler